Take a guided tour of London
London, with its long and fascinating history, has some of the most iconic landmarks in the world. To make the most of your visit to the capital and see all the famous and infamous sights it may be good to book on one of the many guided tours provided in the city. You can choose from a wide range of set tours by bus, boat or foot but if they don’t suit your needs there are always bespoke London tours created especially for you.
The Original London Sightseeing Tour
To see all the classic tourist sights at your own pace the Original London Sightseeing Tour provides a 24 hour ticket allowing you to hop on and hop off of their fleet of open top red buses operating across 3 routes. The Bus tours go to all the major attractions including Buckingham Palace, The Tower of London, Tower Bridge, the London Eye, Downing Street, Big Ben, Parliament and major museums and offer multi-lingual recorded guides in addition to the live commentary in English. The 24 hour ticket also includes 3 optional walking tours and a hop on hop off Thames cruise. You can start the tour from a range of locations across the capital shown on the website and buy tickets online for use on any date within 6 months of purchase.
- Bus Departure Times: Every 20 minutes from 8:30am – 5pm daily (Later and more frequently in summer)
- Online Price: Adult £23.00; Child (5-15) £11.00
- Website: theoriginaltour.com
London Duck Tours London Tour
For a classic London tour with a twist try The London Duck Tours. Using DUKW road and water vehicles used in the Normandy landings during World War II, the Duck company take you round the classic sights then complete the tour on the Thames via a slipway, so you get a road and river trip without leaving your seat! The company also do pirate themed tours and treasure hunts as well as James Bond and code breaker tours for kids of all ages! Each vehicle seats 30 passengers and every tour is conducted live by the on board guide. The tours last for around 75 minutes including 30 minutes on the river.
- Departure Point: Duck Stop, Chicheley Street, London SE1 7PY
- Departure Times: Weekends and School Holidays every 15 minutes from 09:30am; Weekdays in term time every 30 minutes from 10:00 am
- Cost: Adult £21-£25; Child (1-12 yrs) £14- £17; Youth (13-17 yrs) £16-£19; Concessions for Students, Senior Citizens and people with disabilities £17-£20
- Webiste: londonducktours.co.uk
London Death and Debauchery Tour
For a look at the darker side of London this walk is more than just a ghost walk and is wider than the East End tours detailing the gory deed of the mysterious Jack the Ripper. The guide takes you through the murder, crime and disease that haunt the history of the city. With a great amount of detail the tour starts with the former red light district of Covent Garden the tour isn’t for the faint hearted as it takes you to London’s most dastardly sights and tells of the darkest tales, from the two headed boy of bengal to gin palaces that welcomed 12 year olds to haunted theatres and murder scenes. The tour lasts approximately two hours.
- Meet: Under the statue of Freddie Mercury at the Dominiom Theatre on Tottenham Court Road W1T 7AQ
- When: Sundays 4pm; Tuesdays 6.30pm
- Cost: £20.00 (all tours must be booked in advance)
- Website: insider-london.co.uk/weird-london
Literary London tour
If you fell in love with the capital through the eyes of some of the most famous authors of bygone times then tours with knowledgable guides who know where to find gems of those times are a must to bring your imaginations to life. London Walks, founded nearly 50 years ago has specialist guides who live and breath their subject. Some of the guides even dress in costume for that extra special touch. The company do a range of walks related to Charles Dickens, Oscar Wilde, Shakespeare and Sherlock Holmes as well as a general tour of Bloomsbury and the literary heart of the city. All tours are the same price, last approximately 2 hours and follow a weekly timetable. There is no need to book and all tours start and end near an Tube station making them easy to meet.
- Cost: Adults £9; (£7 concessions for Seniors and full time students); Child: Free (5-15 yrs if accompanied by an adult.
- Website: walks.com